2022 UPDATE ON TUITION REIMBURSEMENT
The NFL Player Tuition Assistance Plan is funded for the 2022 Plan Year (beginning with the fall semester courses paid for and starting on/after August 1, 2022) and reimburses eligible players for tuition, fees, and books – up to the maximum allowable benefit. The 2020 and 2021 Plan Years remain unfunded, more information on the impacts of COVID-19 for those Plan Years can be found below.
Active Player Eligibility Requirements
- Minimum of 1 Credited Season before the Semester begins.
- Must be on a game roster in a Qualifying Status (Active, Inactive or Injured Reserve) for the regular season or postseason.
- Eligible for up to $20,000 per Plan Year (September 1 – August 31).
Practice Squad Benefit Eligibility Requirements
- 3 games on Practice Squad in the season.
- $5,000 tuition available for that season.
- Generally, a Player must use the benefit in that Plan Year (September 1 – August 31).
Former Player Eligibility Requirements
- 2 or more Credited Seasons and expenses are incurred within 72 months* of the first day of the Plan Year immediately following your last regular or post-season game.
- Lifetime maximum benefits for Former Players: $25,000 with 2 Credited Seasons; $45,000 with 3 Credited Seasons; $65,000 with 4 Credited Seasons; $85,000 with 5 or more Credited Seasons.
How to Apply:
- Call 800-635-4625, prompt 1 or email NFLTuitionAssist@Alight.com to verify player eligibility, qualifying institutions, and courses before paying
- Submit the Tuition Assistance Plan Application within 6 months of your final grades posting with required documents including:
- Proof of grade(s), transcripts, or certificate completion
- All itemized receipts (including proof of tuition charges from university, books and fees, professional licensing examination charges and review course and study guide charges
UPDATE ON COVID-19 IMPACTS TO TUITION REIMBURSEMENT
The COVID-19 CBA Amendments between the NFL and NFLPA put a “hold” on the tuition reimbursement benefit claims and approval process for the 2020 and 2021 Plan Years until at least 2023 due to a decrease in revenue. In light of the end of payments by the NFL during the period covered by the COVID Amendments, the NFLPA Board of Player Representatives voted to allocate benefit dollars under the Player Cost cap in future years to restore canceled benefits (Tuition Reimbursement in this case) for those players who would have qualified for such a benefit if the benefit had remained in place. The COVID amendments specifically permit the NFLPA to reinstitute this benefit in future league years under the CBA.
Although no such reimbursement claim payments will be made until at least 2023, the NFLPA established a virtual repository for your education documents and receipts for classes that will be necessary to submit your reimbursement claims in the future. Documents previously submitted to the repository have been sent to the Plan Administrator. Any additional claims for the 2020 & 2021 Plan Years can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with a completed Tuition Assistance Plan Application.
The uploading/submission of your receipts/documents does not mean that your reimbursement claim has been submitted and approved; rather, the NFLPA wants to help you retain the documents you will need in the future to submit a claim. The NFLPA is merely acting as a repository for your documents/materials until they can be submitted for review and determination of whether your reimbursement claim qualifies as determined by the NFL.
*For purposes of calculating the 72-month period under the Former Player Benefit, the period from September 1, 2020, through August 31, 2022, shall be excluded, except that a Former Player whose 72-month period would have expired before the 2026 Plan Year notwithstanding this tolling period, shall not be eligible for the increase in the Lifetime Maximum to be effective beginning with the 2026 Plan Year.
Questions? Shoot us an email.